TOPIC: ATTITUDE DURING PRESSURE BIBLE TEXT: John 11:1-44
Introduction: We reverence God for the fifth edition of our Women’s Bible Study. Great things happen when women come together to share the Word of God and also of their life experiences. From the previous editions, we were looking at the lives of the Lord Jesus Christ and also Mary & Martha- two sisters who were very different in their approaches to Jesus. In our first Bible lesson, from the text- Luke 10:38-42, we saw the Lord Jesus Christ and His compassionate and loving nature, and how sensitive He is to the needs of others. We also saw that He is more concerned about our personal relationship with Him, rather than our activities for Him. This was why He chastised Martha for being “worried and troubled about many things” and commended Mary for “choosing the good part” by seating at His feet to listen and learn as He taught the Word of God. In lesson two, we looked at another passage which gave us another look into Mary’s heart and her passion for her saviour. In Mark 14:3-9 we read about how despite the presence of a lot of people in the room, she approached the Lord with a very precious item- (her alabaster box). She then broke the box/bottle, and anointed His head with the fragrant oil in it. Yet again, Mary chose the good part by giving Him her most precious item as a Jewish lady. She then received another commendation from the Lord when He said that “…she has done a good work for Me…and …wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be told as a memorial to her” (vs6&9)
At our last meeting we looked at the subject choices as it relates to our lives and how this affects us as women. Choices are a part of our lives and they also affect us daily. The reality however, is that there are consequences for every choice we make and every decision we take in life. Scriptural examples, the wrong choice made by Eve led to the curse pronounced by God (Gen 3:1-6, 16), Lot also made a wrong choice which led to losing everything he has (Gen 19:24-30) while the choice made by Ruth was into fruitful. (Ruth 4:13-22)
Today, we shall take another look at Mary and Martha attitude during pressure when their brother died. May the Lord by His Spirit minister to us today, so that we can always take the right choice in life in Jesus name. We encourage you be to be real, practical and down to earth as we share together.
- Why did the sisters sent for Jesus that the one whom he lovest is sick (verse 3)? ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
- In verse 4, The Lord Jesus Christ said “this sickness is not unto death but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby”
- What did He mean by this?
- Why did He abide two more days in the same place where He was?
- What were Martha and Mary reactions when they heard that Jesus was coming (v20-39). ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
- As women we do send for when faced with pressures of life. What practical steps can we take as women in following the example of Mary in life? (verse 20)
In conclusion: We bless God for the thoughts, ideas and revelations we have shared at this meeting. Please bear in mind that it is not just hearing the Word that matters, but being a doer of what is received. Therefore, we encourage you to take a stand for Jesus no matter how challenging situation might be and see how He will turn everything around for His glory.
We look forward to having you next month – Wed. July 6th. Time 10am-12 noon.
Please come with a friend! God bless.